Selected Public Presentations:
- Oct 2021 – presenting with D Miranda on Expecting the Future: Emerging Narratives on Automated Facial and Emotion Recognition Technologies at 4S Conference Toronto, Canada/Online.
- May 2021 – presenting ‘Trustworthy By Design’ at CIGR panel on Trustworthy Autonomous Systems, University of Sussex/Online
- May 2021 – Organising an ACM SIG CHI Workshop on Human Data Interaction Through Design Yokohama Japan/Online
- Jan 2021 – Ran a Computers, Privacy and Data Protection Panel on Emotional AI in Smart Cities with Chuo University, Brussels/Online
- 19 November 2020 Invited Expert Speaker for THRIDI Workshop on Trust in Smart Homes.
- 6th November 2020 Panel for Ada Lovelace JUST AI Lunchtime Seminar Series.
- 28 October 2020 Ethics by Design for The Moral-IT Deck, Centre for Data Culture and Society Seminar Series. recording here
- 13 October 2020 Open Rights Group Panel on Facial Recognition recording here
- 15 June 2020 – Stuck in the Middle with (U)sers, with J Chen (Law). ETHICOMP 2020 (Virtual)
- 25th October 2019 – ‘Edge Computing & Demonstrating Accountability Through the Databox. Regulating Digital Platforms: comparing the British and French Models, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- 24th October 2019 – Invited Discussant – Artificial Intelligence and the International Rule of Law – UK/Japan Conversation, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 21st October 2019 – Responsible Research and Innovation Workshop, Horizon CDT, University of Nottingham.
- 17th October 2019 – Regulating Ubicomp by Design, Design Informatics Seminar Series, University of Edinburgh.
- 16th October 2019 – Regulating Ubicomp by Design, Law School Staff Seminar Series, University of Edinburgh.
- 18-21 Sept 2019 – Defence Against the Dark Artefacts, with S Piasecki (Law) and D McAuley (CompSci) EUROCRIM 2019.
- 5th September 2019 – Human Building Interaction, Internet of Things and Surveillance Conference, Newcastle University, UK.
- 15-17 May 2019 –Databox: Who controls processing in the smart home? with J Chen (Law), L Edwards (Law), D McAuley (CompSci) TILTing Perspectives 2019, Tilburg, Netherlands. (L Edwards Presented)
- 15-17 May 2019 – Ethical by Design? Responsible Research and Innovation using the Moral-IT Deck of Cards. with P Craigon (Critical Theory and D Darzentas (CompSci) TILTing Perspectives 2019.
- 4-9 May 2019 – ‘Card Mapper: Enabling Data-Driven Reflections on Ideation Cards’ with D Darzentas (Comp Sci- HCI), R Velt (Comp Sci- HCI), R Wetzel (Comp Sci- HCI), H Wagner (Psychology), P Craigon (Critical Theory), S Benford (CompSci – HCI). ACM SIGCHI 2019 – (P Craigon presented)
- 16-17 April 2019 – ‘Defence Against Dark Artefacts: Casting Out the Evil in Smart Homes’ with J. Chen (Law), L. Edwards (Law), D. McAuley (Comp Sci); L. Urquhart BILETA 2019
- 3-4 April 2019 – Regulating Smart Buildings, Internet of Things Conference, Alan Turing Institute.
- 8 Feb 2019 – Regulating Human Building Interaction. Edinburgh Futures Institute.
- 24-26 September 2018 – ‘Responsible Domestic Robotics’ with D Reedman Flint (Geography) and N Leesakul (Law) for ETHICOMP 2018, Gdansk, Poland. (Natalie presented)
- 29-31 Aug 2018 – with D Miranda, “Policing and the Internet of Things: making daily life visible to Justice?” European Society of Criminology (EUROCRIM ’18), Sarajevo, Bosnia.
- 7-9 June 2018 – with A McStay, ‘Governing Affective Computing & the Problem of Being Private in Public’, 8th Surveillance & Society Conference ’18, Aarhus, Denmark.
- 7-9 June 2018 – with D Miranda, ‘Smart Home, Smart Policing’, 8th Surveillance & Society Conference ‘18 Aarhus, Denmark.
- 24-25 May 2018 – Embedded Law: Reflections on Regulating Ambient Interactive Computing’, Danish Association of STS Conference ’18, ITU, Copenhagen, Denmark.(abstract accepted but unfortunately had to cancel).
- 21-22 May 2018 – with V Portillo, A Koene, D McAuley, S Larsson & P Runeson ‘Trust by Design Workshop’ Data Justice ‘18, Cardiff, Wales.
- 10-11 April 2018 – ‘Adaptive Architecture: Regulating Human Building Interaction’, 33rd BILETA ‘18, Aberdeen, Scotland.
- 21-23 March 2018 – Invited Keynote Speaker, ‘Regulating IoT for Food’ , IoT for Food, University College Dublin, Ireland.
- 1st Feb 2018 – Invited Speaker – ‘Emerging Technologies and the General Data Protection Regulation: Meet the Experts’, LATi (Loughborough Advanced Technology & Innovation), Loughborough, England.
- 15th September 2017: ‘Hunting for Ethical Innovation in the Adventures of Rick and Morty’, Gikii XI, Winchester, England.
- 6th September 2017 – Invited Speaker – VIRT-EU ThingsCon Salon as part of TechFest 2017 (5-10th Sept), Copenhagen, Denmark
- 6th September 2017 – Invited Speaker – “MoralIT: Regulating the Domestic Internet of Things”, STS Salon, IT University, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 20th June 2017: Invited Speaker “User Centric Regulation for IoT”, Sensing and Privacy Workshop, Queen Mary University, London
- 4-8th June 2017: “Ethical Dimensions of User Centric Regulation”, ICT and the City Stream, CEPE/ETHICOMP 2017, University of Torino, Italy
- 26 May 2017: – Invited Speaker – Talk at School of Computer Science, Lancaster University, UK
- 17-19 May 2017: with D McAuley “Assessing Information Security Regulations for Domestic and Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems”, Tilting Perspectives 2017, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
- 24-28 April 2017 – Invited Speaker – “User Centric Regulation and IoT” Lorentz Centre Workshop – Privacy by Design Beyond the Screen: (How) Is it Possible? Leiden University, The Netherlands (PPT = PbD_for_IoT)
- 20-21 March 2017 – with N Sailaja and D McAuley, “Realising the Right to Data Portability in Practice”, BILETA 2017, Braga, Portugal
- 17th Feb 2017 – Invited Speaker – “New Directions in IT Law”, Trilateral Consulting, London
- 2nd Dec 2016: – Invited Speaker – “User Centric Regulation for the Internet of Things”, Edinburgh Law School, University of Edinburgh
- 20th May 2016 – Invited Speaker – “Doing information privacy by design: Engaging Technology Designers with Regulation” Data PSST! ESRC Seminar Series, Bangor University, Bangor May 2016 Position paper online at blog
- 5-6th May 2016 – Invited Speaker and Panellist – “Multidisciplinary Reflections on Regulation and the Internet of Things” Internet of Things and Cybersecurity Conference, Royal Holloway, London
- 21-23rd April 2016 – “Regulation by Design for Ambient Domestic Computing: Lessons from Human Computer Interaction” 7th Biannual Surveillance and Society Conference, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain (PhD studentship awarded)
- 11-12th April 2016 – “Privacy by Design and the Internet of Things: From Rhetoric to Practice using Information Privacy Cards” 31st Annual BILETA Conference 2016, University of Hertfordshire
- 25th Jan 2016 – 2 lectures with E Luger, Information Commissioner Office Know About Session ‘Privacy by Design in Action’, Information Commissioners Office, Wilmslow
- 4th Oct 2015 – Workshop Organiser “Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Games and Human Values” ACM CHI Play, London, England
- 20th April 2015 – “Playing the Legal Card: Using Ideation Cards to Raise Data Protection Issues within the Design Process” ACM CHI 2015, Seoul, S Korea
- 16th April 2015 – “Smart Meters, Home Automation and Regulation”, Meiji Centre for Business Information Ethics, Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan
- 8th December 2014 – “Smart Energy Infrastructure: Privacy and Security Concerns”, Scottish Privacy Forum – Smart Cities Symposium, University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland
- 10-11th July 2014 – “The intersection of EU Data Protection Law Reform and everyday ambient computing design: challenges and opportunities” Easy Privacy, Asian Privacy Scholars Network 4th International Conference, Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan
- 26-27th June 2014 – Invited panellist – “Drones and Self-Driving Cars” SCL Technology Law Futures Forum – Co-organised with EINS, Herbert Smith Freehills, London, England
- 2nd June 2014 – Invited Speaker – “Droning on about flying machines: legal perspectives on domestic civilian UAVs” Centro de Investigacao em Ciencias Sociais, Departmento de Sociologia, Universidade do Minho, Braga, Portugal
- 24-26th April 2014 – “Is Policing Surveillance of Online Social Media Out of Control? A UK Legal Perspective”, 6th Biannual Conference of the Surveillance Studies Network, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- 14-16th April 2014 – “Bridging the gap between law and technology design: the challenges of ubiquitous computing” BILETA 2014, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
- 16-17 August 2013 “‘The Persistence of Memory: Towards the Synchronic Society” – Presentation and Poster – at Gikii VIII Seaside Edition, Centre for Intellectual Property Policy & Management, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth, UK
- 23-24 May 2013 – “‘Smile! Drones operating overhead’ – An emerging framework for UK Regulation of Domestic Drones” at Spy in the Sky: Regulatory Issues of Drones and Unmanned Aerial Systems, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 17-18th September 2012 – “The Bug Farm: Addressing the imminent swarm of domestic drones”(Powerpoint) presented at Gikii VII, University of East Anglia, London, England
- 7th June 2012 – “The Aerial Gaze: regulation of surveillance by domestic drones” presented at SCRIPT Conference University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.
- Mentioned in D Pauli (2015) “Hey Devs! Confused by EU Privacy Law? Pull out the FLASH CARDS” The Register
- Mentioned in A. Adams and K. Murata (2014) Privacy Laws and Business about Asian Privacy Scholars Network Conference 2014
- Quoted in C Jones (2014) “Back from the Battlefield: Domestic Drones in the UK” May, Statewatch/Drone Wars UK Report
- Quoted in M Piesing (2014) “The Legal Turbulence Hindering Drones in the UK” 20 Feb Wired UK
- Quoted in A McKenna (2013) “Drones: Not Just about Data” 14 Dec, Society of Computers and Law – Print and Online
- Quoted in R Fisher (2013) “Future Law: Can you be slandered by a robot?” 14 Sept New Scientist