- with J Chen, L Edwards, D McAuley ‘Who is Responsible for Data Processing in Smart Homes? Reconsidering Joint Controllership and the Household Exemption’ International Data Privacy Law (Published)
- with S Piesecki and D McAuley ‘Defence Against the Dark Artefacts: An Analysis of Smart Home Cybersecurity Standards’ (Forthcoming in Computer Law and Security Review)
- with J Chen. Stuck in the Middle with (U)sers. Proceedings of ETHICOMP 2020, Online.
- with J Chen ‘On the Principle of Accountability: Challenges for Smart Homes and Cybersecurity ’ In Crabtree, A. Mortier, R. Haddadi, H. (Eds) Privacy by Design for the Internet of Things: Building Accountability and Security. IET Press, Forthcoming. (Under Review)
- with P Craigon ‘The Moral-IT Deck: A Tool for Ethics by Design’. (Under Review)
- White Noise from the White Goods? Embedded Regulation for Ambient Domestic Computing In B Schafer, L Edwards, E Harbinja Future Law. Edinburgh University Press (Published)
- Regulating Ubicomp by Design. Cambridge University Press (monograph)
- with N Leesakul, M Wilson, R Hyde and D McAuley. ‘Cobots at Work: the relationship between trust, law, and design.’
- with J Chen and S Piasecki ‘Securing the Smart Home: The Game’
- with D Miranda – ‘Smart Home, Smart Policing’
- with A McStay ‘Ecologies of Training Data and Emotion in the Automotive Sector’
[Recent Reports and Briefings]
- with V Bakir and A McStay Emotion Recognition: Tends, Social Feeling, Policy, 2020 (Briefing to All Party Parliamentary Group on Artificial Intelligence)
- with P Craigon. Moral-IT Cards Project Report. 2020.
- with V. Bakir, A. McStay, and Mantello, P. UK/Japan Cross Cultural Conversation on Emotional AI. 2019 (ESRC Project Report)
- with Corti, Y M. Stewart, J. Raab, C. Catanzariti B. and Dominguez, A. Report on ‘Library Study Space and WiFi Occupancy Monitoring’ 2019 University of Edinburgh IoT Governance Group.
- with A Koene and D McAuley, The Internet: To Regulate or Not to Regulate? 2018. Evidence to UK Parliamentary Inquiry.
- with A McStay ‘This time with feeling?’ Assessing EU data governance implications of out of home appraisal based emotional AI’ First Monday, 24 (10) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v24i10.9457
- with A Crabtree and J Chen ‘Right to an Explanation Considered Harmful’ DOI – 10.2139/ssrn.3384790 Working Paper.
- with H Schnädelbach and N Jäger ‘Adaptive Buildings & Personal Data’ ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction DOI 10.1145/3301426
- with D Price, R Jacobs, E Perez Vallejos, D Darzentas, N Chadborn, S Martindale, H Robbins. ‘MeMa: Designing the Memory Machine’ – Proceedings of ACM Designing Interactive Systems 2019, San Diego, USA.
- with D Reedman Flint and N Leesakul, ‘Responsible Robotics: Exploring Ethical Implications of Robots in the Home’, Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society
- with R Jacobs, F Abbott and D Price ‘Performing the Future: Risk, Uncertainty & Artistic Process’ Journal of Risk Research DOI 10.1080/13669877.2019.1569104
- with D Darzentas, R Velt, R Wetzel, H Wagner, P Craigon, S Benford. A ‘Card Mapper: Enabling Data-Driven Reflections on Ideation Cards’ Proceedings of ACM SIGCHI 2019, Glasgow, Scotland
- with N Jäger & H Schnädelbach ‘Adaptive Architecture: Regulating Human Building Interaction’ International Review Law, Computers & Technology. DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/13600869.2019.1562605
- with A. Crabtree and T Lodge ‘Demonstrably Doing Accountability in the Internet of Things’ International Journal of Law and Information Technology. DOI 10.1093/ijlit/eay015
- with M Goulden, M Flintham & D Price ‘Domesticating Data: Socio-Legal Perspectives on Smart Homes & Good Data Design’ for A Daly et al (eds.) Good Data.
- ‘Ethical Dimensions of User Centric Regulation’ ACM Computers and Society, 47(4), 81-95 DOI – 10.1145/3243141.3243151
- with A McStay ‘Governing Affective Computing and the Problem of Being Private in Public’ for Proceedings of Surveillance & Society 2018.
- with D Miranda (Criminology), ‘Smart Home, Smart Policing?’ for Proceedings of Surveillance & Society 2018.
- with D Reedman Flint and N Leesakul, ‘Responsible Robotics’, Proceeding of ETHICOMP 2018, Gdansk, Poland.
- with N Jäger & H Schnädelbach ‘Adaptive Architecture: Regulating Human Building Interaction’ for BILETA 2018, Aberdeen, Scotland. ** Won Taylor & Francis Prize**
- with A Crabtree, T Lodge, J Colley, C Greenhalgh, K Glover, H Haddadi, Y Amar, R Mortier, Q Li, J Moore, L Wang, P Yadav, J Zhao, A Brown, & D McAuley, (2018) ‘Building Accountability into the Internet of Things: The IoT Databox Model‘, Journal of Reliable Intelligent Environments. DOI – https://doi.org/10.1007/s40860-018-0054-5.
- ‘Current Trends in Cybercrime and Information Security Law’ in L Edwards, Law, Policy and the Internet, Hart Publishing.
- ‘Regulation of Privacy and Freedom of Expression from 2004-2018: From Campbell to Fake News’ in L Edwards, Law, Policy and the Internet , Hart Publishing
- with D McAuley ‘Avoiding the Internet of Insecure Industrial Things‘ in Computer Law & Security Review DOI – 10.1016/j.clsr.2017.12.004.
- with T Rodden ‘Towards User-Centric Regulation’ Working Paper.
- with E. Perez Vallejos, A Koene, C Carter, C Woodard, A Bergin, R Statache, ‘Accessing Online Data for Youth Mental Health Research: Meeting the Ethical Challenges‘ in Philosophy & Technology. 1-24. DOI – https://doi.org/10.1007/s13347-017-0286-y .
- with N Sailaja and D McAuley ‘Realising the EU Right to Data Portability for the Internet of Things‘ Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 1-16. DOI – 10.1007/s00779-017-1069-2.
- ‘Ethical Dimensions of User Centric Regulation‘ Orbit 1(1) DOI – https://doi.org/10.29297/orbit.v1i1.14.
- with D McAuley ‘Assessing Information Security Regulations for Domestic and Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems‘ Proceedings of TILTing Perspectives, Tilburg.
- with T Rodden ‘New Directions in Technology Law: Learning from Human-Computer Interaction‘ International Review of Law, Computers, and Technology 31 (2) 150-169. DOI -https://doi.org/10.1080/13600869.2017.1298501.
- ‘Artcodes and Intellectual Property Law’, CREATe/Horizon Working Paper, DOI – http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2934229
- with L Edwards ‘Privacy in Public Spaces: What Expectations of Privacy Do We Have in Social Media Intelligence?‘ International Journal of Law and Information Technology, 24 (3), 279–310. DOI – https://doi.org/10.1093/ijlit/eaw007
- with T Rodden ‘A Legal Turn in Human-Computer Interaction? Towards ‘Regulation by Design’ for the Internet of Things‘. Working Paper
- ‘Transparency of Non-State Actors? The Case of Technology Designers and Privacy by Design‘ Position Paper for Data PSST! ESRC Seminar Series.
- with D Darzentas ‘Interdisciplinary Reflections on Games and Human Values‘ Proceedings of ACM CHI Play 2015 – DOI – 10.1145/2793107.2810259
- Guest Editor. Computers and Law: Special Focus Smart Cities, June/July 2015 Edition.
- with E Luger ‘Smart Cities: Creative Compliance and the Rise of Designer as Regulators’ Computers and Law.
- with E Luger, T Rodden, and M Golembewski. ‘Playing the Legal Card: Using Ideation Cards to Raise Data Protection Issues Within the Design Process’ Proceedings of ACM CHI 2015, Seoul, South Korea DOI – 10.1145/2702123.2702142.
- ‘Bridging the Gap Between Law and HCI: Designing Effective Regulation of Human Autonomy in Everyday Ubicomp Systems‘ Adjunct Proceedings of ACM Ubicomp ’14 , Seattle, WA, USA. DOI – 10.1145/2638728.2638844
- with L. Edwards ‘Is Policing Surveillance of Online Social Media Out of Control? : A UK Legal Perspective” 6th Biannual Conference of the Surveillance Studies Network, Barcelona, Spain
- with T Rodden and E Luger ‘Bridging the Gap between Law and Technology design: the Challenges of Ubiquitous Computing’ BILETA 2014, University of East Anglia, England.
- The Aerial Gaze: regulation domestic drones in the UK’ Computers and Law. Vol 24(1) April/May Edition.