- with N Sailaja, J Lindley, D McAuley, I Forrester ‘Human Data Interaction Through Design: An Exploratory From Theory to Practice Using Design as a Vehicle’ Proceedings of ACM SIGCHI 2020 (Extended Abstracts), 8-13 May, Yokohama, Japan/Online.
- with P Craigon ‘The Moral-IT Deck: A Tool for Ethics by Design’. Journal of Responsible Innovation
- with S Piesecki and D McAuley ‘Defence Against the Dark Artefacts: An Analysis of Smart Home Cybersecurity Standards’ Forthcoming in Computer Law and Security Review
- with J Chen, L Edwards, D McAuley ‘Who is Responsible for Data Processing in Smart Homes? Reconsidering Joint Controllership and the Household Exemption’ International Data Privacy Law recently cited in UK Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology POSTNOTE on Edge Computing
- with J Chen. Stuck in the Middle with (U)sers. Proceedings of ETHICOMP 2020, Online.
- with J Chen ‘On the Principle of Accountability: Challenges for Smart Homes and Cybersecurity ’ In Crabtree, A. Mortier, R. Haddadi, H. (Eds) Privacy by Design for the Internet of Things: Building Accountability and Security. IET Press, Forthcoming.
- White Noise from the White Goods? Embedded Regulation for Ambient Domestic Computing In B Schafer, L Edwards, E Harbinja Future Law. Edinburgh University Press
- Regulating Ubicomp by Design. Cambridge University Press (monograph)
- with N Leesakul, M Wilson, R Hyde and D McAuley. ‘Cobots at Work: the relationship between trust, law, and design.’
- with A Jenkins, S Piasecki, T Nielson, J Chen. ‘Securing the Smart Home: The Game’
- with D Miranda – ‘Smart Home, Smart Policing’
- with J Chen – ‘Socio-Technical Perspectives on Smart Home Cybersecurity’
- with A McStay ‘Emotion in the Automotive Sector’
[Recent Reports and Briefings]
- with A McStay, G Rosner and H Miyashita COMMENT ON CHILDREN’S RIGHTS IN RELATION TO EMOTIONAL AI AND THE DIGITAL ENVIRONMENT For UN Committee On the Rights of the Child.
- with J Chen, L Edwards and D McAuley, Comments on the European Data Protection Board’s Guidelines 07/2020 on the concepts of controller and processor in the GDPR (European Data Protection Board)
- with J Chen, H Haddadi and D McAuley. Response to Consultation on Secure by Design Regulation (Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)
- with V Bakir and A McStay Emotion Recognition: Tends, Social Feeling, Policy, 2020 (Briefing to All Party Parliamentary Group on Artificial Intelligence)
- with V. Bakir, A. McStay, and Mantello, P. UK/Japan Cross Cultural Conversation on Emotional AI. 2019 (ESRC Project Report)
- with Corti, Y M. Stewart, J. Raab, C. Catanzariti B. and Dominguez, A. Report on ‘Library Study Space and WiFi Occupancy Monitoring’ 2019 University of Edinburgh IoT Governance Group.
- with A Koene and D McAuley, The Internet: To Regulate or Not to Regulate? 2018. Evidence to UK Parliamentary Inquiry.
- with A McStay ‘This time with feeling?’ Assessing EU data governance implications of out of home appraisal based emotional AI’ First Monday, 24 (10) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v24i10.9457
- with A Crabtree and J Chen ‘Right to an Explanation Considered Harmful’ DOI – 10.2139/ssrn.3384790 Working Paper.
- with H Schnädelbach and N Jäger ‘Adaptive Buildings & Personal Data’ ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction DOI 10.1145/3301426
- with D Price, R Jacobs, E Perez Vallejos, D Darzentas, N Chadborn, S Martindale, H Robbins. ‘MeMa: Designing the Memory Machine’ – Proceedings of ACM Designing Interactive Systems 2019, San Diego, USA.
- with D Reedman Flint and N Leesakul, ‘Responsible Robotics: Exploring Ethical Implications of Robots in the Home’, Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society winner of 2020 Highly Commended Literati Award
- with R Jacobs, F Abbott and D Price ‘Performing the Future: Risk, Uncertainty & Artistic Process’ Journal of Risk Research DOI 10.1080/13669877.2019.1569104
- with D Darzentas, R Velt, R Wetzel, H Wagner, P Craigon, S Benford. A ‘Card Mapper: Enabling Data-Driven Reflections on Ideation Cards’ Proceedings of ACM SIGCHI 2019, Glasgow, Scotland
- with N Jäger & H Schnädelbach ‘Adaptive Architecture: Regulating Human Building Interaction’ International Review Law, Computers & Technology. DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/13600869.2019.1562605
- with A. Crabtree and T Lodge ‘Demonstrably Doing Accountability in the Internet of Things’ International Journal of Law and Information Technology. DOI 10.1093/ijlit/eay015
- with M Goulden, M Flintham & D Price ‘Domesticating Data: Socio-Legal Perspectives on Smart Homes & Good Data Design’ for A Daly et al (eds.) Good Data.
- ‘Ethical Dimensions of User Centric Regulation’ ACM Computers and Society, 47(4), 81-95 DOI – 10.1145/3243141.3243151
- with A McStay ‘Governing Affective Computing and the Problem of Being Private in Public’ for Proceedings of Surveillance & Society 2018.
- with D Miranda (Criminology), ‘Smart Home, Smart Policing?’ for Proceedings of Surveillance & Society 2018.
- with D Reedman Flint and N Leesakul, ‘Responsible Robotics’, Proceeding of ETHICOMP 2018, Gdansk, Poland.
- with N Jäger & H Schnädelbach ‘Adaptive Architecture: Regulating Human Building Interaction’ for BILETA 2018, Aberdeen, Scotland. ** Won Taylor & Francis Prize**
- with A Crabtree, T Lodge, J Colley, C Greenhalgh, K Glover, H Haddadi, Y Amar, R Mortier, Q Li, J Moore, L Wang, P Yadav, J Zhao, A Brown, & D McAuley, (2018) ‘Building Accountability into the Internet of Things: The IoT Databox Model‘, Journal of Reliable Intelligent Environments. DOI – https://doi.org/10.1007/s40860-018-0054-5.
- ‘Current Trends in Cybercrime and Information Security Law’ in L Edwards, Law, Policy and the Internet, Hart Publishing.
- ‘Regulation of Privacy and Freedom of Expression from 2004-2018: From Campbell to Fake News’ in L Edwards, Law, Policy and the Internet , Hart Publishing
- with D McAuley ‘Avoiding the Internet of Insecure Industrial Things‘ in Computer Law & Security Review DOI – 10.1016/j.clsr.2017.12.004.
- with T Rodden ‘Towards User-Centric Regulation’ Working Paper.
- with E. Perez Vallejos, A Koene, C Carter, C Woodard, A Bergin, R Statache, ‘Accessing Online Data for Youth Mental Health Research: Meeting the Ethical Challenges‘ in Philosophy & Technology. 1-24. DOI – https://doi.org/10.1007/s13347-017-0286-y .
- with N Sailaja and D McAuley ‘Realising the EU Right to Data Portability for the Internet of Things‘ Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 1-16. DOI – 10.1007/s00779-017-1069-2.
- ‘Ethical Dimensions of User Centric Regulation‘ Orbit 1(1) DOI – https://doi.org/10.29297/orbit.v1i1.14.
- with D McAuley ‘Assessing Information Security Regulations for Domestic and Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems‘ Proceedings of TILTing Perspectives, Tilburg.
- with T Rodden ‘New Directions in Technology Law: Learning from Human-Computer Interaction‘ International Review of Law, Computers, and Technology 31 (2) 150-169. DOI -https://doi.org/10.1080/13600869.2017.1298501.
- ‘Artcodes and Intellectual Property Law’, CREATe/Horizon Working Paper, DOI – http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2934229
- with L Edwards ‘Privacy in Public Spaces: What Expectations of Privacy Do We Have in Social Media Intelligence?‘ International Journal of Law and Information Technology, 24 (3), 279–310. DOI – https://doi.org/10.1093/ijlit/eaw007
- with T Rodden ‘A Legal Turn in Human-Computer Interaction? Towards ‘Regulation by Design’ for the Internet of Things‘. Working Paper
- ‘Transparency of Non-State Actors? The Case of Technology Designers and Privacy by Design‘ Position Paper for Data PSST! ESRC Seminar Series.
- with D Darzentas ‘Interdisciplinary Reflections on Games and Human Values‘ Proceedings of ACM CHI Play 2015 – DOI – 10.1145/2793107.2810259
- Guest Editor. Computers and Law: Special Focus Smart Cities, June/July 2015 Edition.
- with E Luger ‘Smart Cities: Creative Compliance and the Rise of Designer as Regulators’ Computers and Law.
- with E Luger, T Rodden, and M Golembewski. ‘Playing the Legal Card: Using Ideation Cards to Raise Data Protection Issues Within the Design Process’ Proceedings of ACM CHI 2015, Seoul, South Korea DOI – 10.1145/2702123.2702142.
- ‘Bridging the Gap Between Law and HCI: Designing Effective Regulation of Human Autonomy in Everyday Ubicomp Systems‘ Adjunct Proceedings of ACM Ubicomp ’14 , Seattle, WA, USA. DOI – 10.1145/2638728.2638844
- with L. Edwards ‘Is Policing Surveillance of Online Social Media Out of Control? : A UK Legal Perspective” 6th Biannual Conference of the Surveillance Studies Network, Barcelona, Spain
- with T Rodden and E Luger ‘Bridging the Gap between Law and Technology design: the Challenges of Ubiquitous Computing’ BILETA 2014, University of East Anglia, England.
- The Aerial Gaze: regulation domestic drones in the UK’ Computers and Law. Vol 24(1) April/May Edition.